Glass windows enhance the whole look of your home. However, their maintenance can be tough given how easily they get dirty. A lot of people use different methods to clean their glass windows but many of these leave streaks and lines on them instead. This blog discusses a few tips so you can clean and maintain your glass window using the right techniques.
Techniques to Be a Glass Window Cleaning Pro
Cleaning is all about knowing how and when to use what type of product. Upkeep of glass doors and windows is not an easy job as different substances can cause different outcomes. Here are a few techniques to help you clean and maintain glass windows.
- A normal wipe or cloth cannot remove all the non-abrasive cleaning solution and dirt from the window. With a long handle and flexible corners, a squeegee can reach higher areas to clean accumulated dirt; thereby becoming the best tool to use for cleansing windows.
- Vacuuming from top to bottom in a unidirectional motion is something that needs to be done to ensure streak free glass windows.
- Scrubbing the windows on a cloudy day is a great idea. The sun can dry the cleaning emulsion making it difficult to clean. An already cloudy day means condensation on the window, ensuring the liquid remains till you wipe it off.
- Cotton swabs and old t-shirts are a cost-effective way to clean windows. Wrap it around your fingers and get the grip to be able to reach the inner corners of the window sills and frames.
- You can DIY a window cleaner by mixing 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 cup isopropyl alcohol (or rubbing alcohol) in 1 cup water. If rubbing alcohol isn’t available, a 1:1 combination of vinegar and deionized distilled water can do the trick.
Tips for Regular Maintenance of Windows
Regular inspection of the windows is a major part of window maintenance. Red flags like moisture on the windows, chipped off paint or corrosion on the window frames are things to look out for.
- Once you are done cleaning the windows, ensure that they are completely dry. Natural air does the best job at drying windows. Keep them open to allow the sun to evaporate the moisture.
- For proper movement of the window, all the hinges should be properly lubricated. Every third to sixth month, you must oil the rollers and tracks using spray furniture polish. Refrain from using silicone sprays as it may damage the windows rather than doing them any good.
- Adding a tint to the windows can be an amazing way to save them from cracking or shattering whenever a sharp object hits them. A very simple but effective process of cleaning these tinted windows is the usage of a cloth or rubber squeegee with normal soapy water.
- Whenever you are cleaning the window, make it a point to check the adjacent wall area and window casing as well.
All these tips are tested formulas to maintain and clean glass windows. Keeping these in mind will ensure your glass windows are sparkling all the time.